Wednesday 22 August 2007

Arthur Murphy


...de la Fermanagh Herald:

“At the age of 71, Kinawley man Arthur Murphy has become the oldest man in Northern Ireland to not only have sat a GCSE in 2007, but to have passed it with flying colours!

When the 'Fermanagh Herald' contacted the father of three yesterday (Tuesday) morning to congratulate him on his success, little did we know that we were the first to alert him to the fact that he had just scooped a Grade B in Irish...


...Arthur took up Irish classes at the then Fermanagh College two years ago before embarking on the GCSE course with tutor, Sharon Breen in September last year. Over the course of the Winter, he kept his head in the books, got a grasp of the task in hand and committed himself to completing the exams in June...


...Arthur always had a longing for the Irish language, something that was further instilled in him when at the age of 19 he emigrated to London where he lived for 38 years. A carpenter by trade, he worked as a foreman in the building construction industry there and, initially served his time in the Buttermarket working for the Irvine Brothers. He retired at the age of 58 and came home to his native Fermanagh where his interest in GAA saw him take up work as a groundsman at Kinawley GFC.

‘I always had an interest in Irish. Even when I was in London, I would have had Irish tapes. I worked with a lot of lads from the West of Ireland who were fluent in Irish, so I always had the interest. It's the soul of the country, it's about your identity and who I am.’...

...’I took up evening classes in the College two years ago and then did the GCSE course. The trouble is I have a fierce love of the language. It took up a lot of my time but it has paid off now. I'm so proud to get it, it means so much to me. I'll keep going to my Irish classes and advance what I have learned.’...”

No comments: