Wednesday 6 February 2008

Turismo kaj Lingvo


…de la San Diego Citybeat:

The summer before I started the sixth grade, my parents took my brother and me on a trip to Wales. We rented a tiny car and made gravestone rubbings at overgrown cemeteries where long-dead distant relatives were buried. I wanted to feel some ancestral pride, and though I found the pastoral landscape enchanting, seeing the Welsh language on road signs baffled me. Who could possibly wrap their mouths around all those consonants?..

…The Celtic-family language has a long history, and though at one point it seemed English had taken over as the ruling language, Welsh has experienced a revival during the last 50 years. It’s a point of national pride that the Super Furry Animals have recorded several songs in their homeland’s language…

No comments: