Wednesday 12 November 2008

Gwyneth Green


...de la Daily Post:

A factory worker who claimed she was not allowed to speak Welsh at a disciplinary hearing yesterday spoke for the first time about the case.

Gwyneth Green from Twthil, Caernarfon, successfully claimed unfair dismissal on the grounds of race discrimination against one of Gwynedd’s largest employers,
Siemens Healthcare Limited.

She said she was unable to defend herself in Welsh at the hearing which led to her dismissal for gross misconduct in February 2008.


The 51-year-old mum of two said: “My English is not good. I’m used to speaking Welsh. I felt I was being bullied.

“If I’d have gone to the meeting and carried on in English I’d have felt bullied with big words.”
“I answered in Welsh and they didn’t like it at all. (An officer) said ‘If you’re not going to speak English the meeting will be closed’.”

No comments: