Monday 22 June 2009

Mesaĝo de Arfon Gwilym


Many thanks for this.In fact, there is now another twist to this story.
.
On Friday I was informed that the US Embassy had made a U-turn on this.
.
My "ineligibility" had been "waivered". The whole story had caused uproar in Wales and many messages of protest had gone to the US Embassy in London.
.
Nevertheless, it is a single visit temporary visa only, which in effect means a lifetime ban thereafter, because the only reason this was waivered this time (apart from the public pressure) was "the importance of my visit".
.
If any future visit was deemed not so important (e.g. a holiday) then the chances are surely slim - even if I wished to go through the expense and hassle all over again.
.
But what made me sick was the timing. I got the message Friday lunchtime. The plane was due to fly early on Monday morning. I would need to get my passport to London and get it back to North Wales with all the paperwork by the following day, Saturday, in order to travel to London on Sunday. Impossible. As I write, the plane is mid way over the Atlantic, and I'm feeling quite sick.
.
I could travel later on this week, of course, by which time I would have missed half the festival, and the organisers would once again have to reorganise the programme for my sake. The American authorities refuse to regard me as nothing more than a common criminal, guilty of "moral turpitude" for campaigning for things in Wales which are now taken for granted.
.
all the best,
ARFON GWILYM

[*** Facebook grupo establiĝis subteni Arfon Gwilym. Klaku ĉi tie vidi ĝin.]

No comments: